Saturday, August 7, 2010

Watching Adam

Aug 7 - Adam

In case this doesn't make sense, on Sunday night Kevin and I watched Adam, a movie about a guy with Asperger's Syndrome who falls in love with a "normal" girl. Kevin has Asperger's. I'm somewhat "normal." (Yeah, I'll keep telling myself that...) We thought it would be a good bonding experience since maybe we could relate to the characters and hopefully learn something. Ultimately, I ended up feeling extremely grateful that Kevin is exactly the way he is and possesses all the positive traits associated with AS: a high level of intelligence, varied and deep interests, complete honesty, etc.

I could go into my insanely long opinionated rant about why mental conditions like this are a gift as opposed to a liability and how people with these conditions simply have certain aspects of their personalities at different ends of a spectrum than others, but I'll have to save that discussion for some other time.

2 comments:

  1. My advisor/professor suggested that we watch this movie..he has a son with autism, and he said he found it very poignant. Anyway, I was intrigued, so I ordered it thru Netflix & am scheduled to get it today! After reading this I am even more excited to see it!

    Well, Great Job Vanessa, cool way to do a blog. & interesting to read a "comic" that captures a spectrum of emotions, not just humor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Marina! It's awesome that you're going to watch the movie! I thought it was pretty fair in depicting AS in someone who has it more severely. It shows the positives and the negatives of having the condition. I also thought it was pretty fair in showing how a lot of "normal" people react to people with the condition. The movie could possibly bring awareness of how hurtful/prejudiced those reactions can be.

    And I'll have humor a bit later. Right now I'm trying to get through all the drama of last weekend. =)

    ReplyDelete